God Rest Ye Bluebeam CustomersDecember 21, 2016
How Do I Love Thee Bluebeam Revu?February 14, 2017
Bluebeam Revu’s Batch Link does a great job to hyperlink plans but it doesn’t automatically hyperlink plans to individual details. There’s a bit of work to do if you want to hyperlink to a specific detail on a sheet. I recommend doing this for any details that are often referenced. It’s a two-part process using Bluebeam’s Places and Visual Search features. I’ve provided step by step instructions below or you can watch the video above to hyperlink plans to all the detail callouts in your plan set.
Create the Link Places (Destinations)
- Navigate to a Detail Sheet.
- Open the Links Tab (Use Tab Access if it isn’t showing in the left panel).
- Zoom in on a single detail (to the view that you want the link to show).
- Click on the green + in the Places section of the Links Tab.
- In the Places dialogue box, enter the detail’s description (Tip: If you want them to appear in numerical order, put the number before the description of the detail in the Name field – See below). Select Snapshot View then click on Get Rectangle. Drag out a rectangle around the detail (Tip: Make sure you get the whole detail including the scale inside your rectangle so anyone who lands here can see everything they need). Click OK. This will then display in the Places section for that sheet (page) in your Links Tab.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for each detail.
- By using the Places Link, if a detail is changed in a revision, you will only need to Edit the Place to update all the links. To do this, in the Links Tab, right click on the Place and choose Edit Place.
HyperLink Your Detail Callouts to the Places
- Open the Search Tab in the Right Panel
- Zoom in on a single detail callout on the plan set
- Choose Visual Search then click Get Rectangle. Drag the rectangle around the detail callout (Tip: if your detail callout has a circle around it, either stay inside the circle when dragging the rectangle and be careful not to include any part of the circle OR make the rectangle tightly around the circle. In the Search dropdown choose Current Document if all your sheets are in one multi-page document, or Current Folder if your sheets are in separate documents by disciple (Architectural, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, etc). In the Options Section uncheck all options, then click Search. It will display the results in the lower portion of the Search Tab.
- Still in the Search Tab, scroll thru the results to see if they all are accurately identifying the correct detail. At to the top of the search panel, click the first check mark symbol “Check All“, it checks the checkbox next to all the results. Uncheck any that do not apply.
- Click on the second from the left Check symbol and in the dropdown choose Hyperlink Checked. If you’re working in a multipage document, choose Place and select the correct Place from the dropdown, then Click OK. If your sheets are all separate documents, change the Jump to document to the correct detail page, then select the correct Place from the dropdown of that page, then Click OK. This will hyperlink all occurrences of that detail callout symbol in the current document or current folder.
- Repeat 3-5 for each unique detail callout.
Not everyone takes the time to hyperlink plans to individual details. For many, Revu Extreme’s Batch Link function, which links all the pages, is close enough. Are linked plans a digital standard on all your construction projects? If not, contact me to get started on Bluebeam Revu and we’ll even beat Bluebeam direct pricing for you!
If you’d like to take Bluebeam Revu Extreme for a spin, download a 30-day free trial today.